Although the beauty industry has rapidly developed, straight hair is never out of fashion. Many black women choose to have this simple texture, but they wonder if they can straighten curly hair or not. Actually, no matter what your hair texture is, you are able to achieve an amazing straight look without destroying your virgin curly hair with the proper equipment, products and techniques. Today, we will guide you on how to effectively straighten curly hair extensions at home.
Many Black Women Choose To Wear Straight Hair, Why?
Hair is just one of many issues that black women have to defend themselves over on a consistent basis. Whether it is braided hair, straight hair or ombre hair, black women tend to be judged for it all.
Here are 3 reasons why many women like straightening their curly hair:
- Need to properly trim the ends
- They have got curly or wavy hair for a long time, so now they want to change into a different look
- They simply need a break from their curly hair extensions
Can You Straighten Your Curly Hair?
As mentioned above, no matter what your human hair texture is, you can completely straighten it, but it must be real human hair. Why? If you apply heat on other hair materials like synthetic hair, the hair will be melted. Sometimes, deep curly or wavy patterns may be a challenge because the curl pattern is so deep and it takes a long time.
You can style your virgin hair extensions like your hair by using a thermal tool to straighten or curl it. Keep in mind that the hair doesn’t have all the nutrients like a strand growing from your scalp. Therefore, it is essential that you use a heat protectant before applying heat to avoid breakage and dryness. Besides, you should also protect your hair while sleeping.
What To Prepare Before Straighten Curly Hair At Home?
Depending on the length and thickness, it can be time-consuming to straighten curly hair, but it’s also cost-effective and convenient. Here are some things you need to prepare:
- A high-heat blow-dryer or flat iron
- A great round brush
- A good straightening product
- Hair serums for a smooth, shiny look
How To Straighten Curly Hair Step By Step
Before you reach for your flat iron, take a minute to refresh your knowledge on straightening curly hair. Here is what you need to do.
Wash Your Hair
Because curly hair bundles tend to get frizzy, use a type of frizz-fighting shampoo and conditioner. Rinse your hair with lukewarm water instead of hot water because hot water cap strip all natural oils of your hair. The oil is very necessary for moisturizing your hair, so your hair will prone to get frizz if it lacks oils. After shampooing, use a small amount of conditioner to apply to the ends of your hair. This will help provide moisture to your hair and make it healthier.
Prep Your Strands
Before using your blow-dryer, you need to apply a heat protectant spray to your damp hair. Why? This is because heat protectant will protect your hair by creating a barrier between your hair and heat. You just have to spray it onto hair sections and brush through hair strands to make sure it’s evenly distributed.
Now, grab a blow-dryer and a round brush to start. To make it easier, section off your hair with a few claw clips and dry one small section at a time. Set your blow-dryer at the medium or low temperature and be sure that your hair is completely dry before going on to the next step.
Grab Your Flat Iron
Once your hair is completely dry, clip it into a half-up, half-down hairstyle. Run your flat iron over small sections and work through the hair that isn’t clipped up. You should work on small sections so that you just need to give your strands one or two swipes of the flat iron.
Finish With A Few Spritzes of Hairspray
Keep in mind that if you use too much leave-in product, your hair will be weighed down. Therefore, we suggest you limit the hair products by using a few spritzes of a stronghold hairspray. This will help keep your newly-straightened locks in place without making them greasy or weighed down. Before using it, you need to shake the can first, then spray it onto your hair. Remember to keep it about a foot away from your head.
Tips For Straightening Virgin Curly Hair Effectively
- Use a gentle shampoo and a smoothing conditioner to prepare for the straightening process. No matter how gentle you are, straightening is tough on the hair, so treating it with gentle hair-care products beforehand can help prevent more damage.
- Towel dry your curly hair until it’s damp. This will help you save time on blow-drying. You can try a microfiber towel which is gentler on the cuticle of the hair than a regular towel.
- Smooth the entire hair with a dime-size amount of a straightening cream, balm, gel or lotion to get your hair ready for blow-drying and flat-ironing. Make sure you don’t overdo it to avoid making the hair limp instead of straight.
- When you blow, carefully use a round bristle brush to pull your hair straight. You should alternate between the hot and cool settings for your blow-dryer to make sure you don’t overheat your virgin hair extensions.
- Never use a flat iron on damp hair because it can lead to damage that literally breaks the hair. Particularly, the temperature of the flat iron on damp hair can cause the water in the hair to literally boil, then burst the hair shaft.
- While smoothing a flat iron along the section, use a comb to pull out the section as taut as possible with one hand. Start at the roots of hair and move to the ends in one smooth motion, then repeat this process a few times to make sure that the hair section is straight.
- After finishing the straightening process, you should use a handheld mirror and a separate mirror to check the hair at the back of your head to make sure that you didn’t miss any section.
Want more curly hair tips and recommendations? Follow our website to get more information. Besides, if you want to purchase hair extensions to change your look, contact Beequeenhairstore.com. This is one of the top hair extensions suppliers from Vietnam which commit to provide you the best quality products. All of their products are made of Remy human hair, so you don’t need to worry about hair problems like shedding or tangling.
Thanks for reading!